Busajo Campus is therefore an educational project aiming at the rehabilitation, prevention and family reintegration of street children.
All the children involved in the program attend the schools of the city thanks to the financial support given by Busajo Campus that pays for school fees.
It hosts children and little girls: the boys live and carry out the activities foreseen by the project inside the Main Building while in the adjacent structure, the Girls’ House, live the girls where they follow a specific program aimed at their recovery and social reintegration.
The main activities planned within Busajo Campus are the following:
• Recovering child dignity
• Educational training
• Medical and psychological assistance
• Agricultural and sheep farming
It is possible to access the Campus in residential or semi-residential conditions.
All children included in the residential program are offered food, accommodation, supplementary courses, medical treatment if and when necessary, the possibility of attending schools in the city providing the payment of school fees. Moreover, all children have the opportunity to practice sports activities thanks to the construction of a regulatory football field and a basketball and volleyball court.
The semi-residential program offers non-residential street children and girls the opportunity to access the Campus from outside for medical treatment, or to attend the professional training workshops to get a job in the city and then become autonomous and independent.
Some of the following professional training workshops are already active and other are just about to be started:
• soap production
• laboratory for the processing of bamboo and frames
• weaving and tailoring workshop
Thanks to the “Ethiopia Association in the Heart” for the donation of an IVECO FIAT minibus – seating capacity of 27 – useful for the movement of children.
BUSAJO CAMPUS COMPOUND
For the activities of Busajo Campus, the Benaim Architecture Studio (http://www.studiobenaim.it/) has donated and implemented the architectural project that has been completed in December 2018, as foreseen by the Five-Year project.
The architectural project consists in the following structures and spaces:
• A masonry fence of over 3 hectares of land, completed in March 2018.
• An artesian well drilled in 2014, almost entirely thanks to the Braccialini spa donation.
• The house for guardians and generator, completed in 2014.
• The residence of the country management, completed in 2014.
• The Sports fields: Regulatory football, basketball and volleyball, with the contribution of Hellas Verona, completed in 2015.
• The Main Building, with 4 large dormitories hosting up to 40 children, 2 rooms for educators and 3 rooms for volunteers on the first floor. On the ground floor: kitchen, canteen, 2 classrooms, offices, medical room, library, bakery, meeting room, an internal court for recreational activities and services. Completed in November 2016.
• The Girls House, with a maximum capacity of 30 girls, accommodation for the educator, spaces for recovery activities. Works completed in November 2017.
• Professional Training Laboratories completed in June 2017 with the support of Prosolidar Foundation.
• The Stable in masonry for livestock: cattle and sheep.
• The vegetable garden: for the cultivation of fruit and vegetables for the Campus.
• The Guest House can accommodate 8 guests and it features common areas such as a kitchen and a living room.
Within the Campus, thanks to the vegetable garden and to the care of the cows and sheeps present inside the compound, agricultural and pastoral activities are already operative.
FUTURE OBJECTIVES FOR THE PERIOD 2018/2023
• Ordinary management of the educational project inside and outside the Campus.
• Completion, purchase of machinery and furniture for the Professional Training Laboratories.
• Water distribution for the villagers with access from outside the Campus.
• Excavation of the second well.
• Construction of changing rooms for sports activities.
• Purchase of motorbikes to access the villages.
• Agricultural activity: purchase of animals and enlargement and maintenance of the vegetable garden.
To reach the goal of family reintegration Busajo Campus carries out many activities outside the center:
• Support to the families of children in the program, implemented through the construction of homes for the poorest;
• Concession of microcredit to these families;
• Consultancy for the prevention of abandonment phenomena and social assistance;
• Preventing activities in the surrounding villages;
• Establishment and management of “family houses” for children who can’t be reintegrated into the family of origin.